Monday, January 4, 2010

I cheated

When a woman has gestational diabetes, all of the world's yummy carbs suddenly become a HUGE no-no. For the most part, I'm quite militant about my dietary habits while in the throws of gestational diabetes, but this weekend I succumbed to the need to bake (gasp) bread. I found a recipe that was too good to pass up. It's called Simple One-Hour Homemade Bread and I found the recipe on La Fuji Mama's blog. She really wasn't kidding when she called it one-hour bread. From the time I poured the first ingredients into my Kitchen Aid mixer's bowl to the time I pulled the mound of delectible bread out of our oven, it was one hour flat. I halved the recipe, just in case it was a flop. It definitely wasn't a flop! (It's probably a good thing I didn't make two loaves, I might have been tempted to eat more of it, which isn't conducive to keeping my glucose levels down.)

I did make two changes to the original recipe: (1) I didn't bother with the hand neading; my Kitchen Aid kicks butt in that department and (2) I smeared the bread with some butter about 1/2 way through the baking time to give it a wondefully divine crust and a bit of a deeper flavor. My, oh, my, but was that bread good.

Will definitely keep this gem in my ever-growing collection of recipes! (Can't wait to try it out as a roll recipe). If the bread wasn't already gone, I'd post a picture. Maybe next time... hmmm... the in-laws are coming over for dinner tomorrow... a little bread side as a dish for our pork tenderloin might be just the ticket!

1 comment:

Rachael Hutchings said...

So glad you liked the recipe! It makes great pizza crust too!