Wednesday, October 20, 2010

It's my birthday

A few days ago, I realized that my birthday was quickly approaching. It made me laugh to think about how important birthdays were when I was a child. I remember my sister making countdown calendars for me so I could mark off each day as my birthday drew ever closer. This year, I couldn't have even told you what day of the week my birthday would fall on. It isn't that I mind getting older. Instead, it boils down to the fact I have a heck of a lot going on in my life and my focus has shifted over the years. No longer are cake, presents, and "it's all about me" the priorities that they used to be. Now, it is more about our kids, getting ready for tomorrow, making sure we have clean clothes, that dinner is figured out, etc. I guess it is a sign of maturity (stop laughing!) that my birthday is a lower priority than the day-to-day needs of our little life and family.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of being celebrated and am so grateful for the wonderful birthday greetings I have received today. There's just something so simply special about each time the kids smile at me, when I'm caught up on the little things so I can stop and watch our family in all its wonder, and snuggling up with Eric for a moment of peace and quiet! My birthday wish for me: to enjoy a year of a healthy family, a few nights of good sleep, and the ability to say "it was a good year" when my birthday rolls around next year.

No comments: