Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Did Somebody Order Sourdough?

This month's Daring Bakers challenge was sourdough bread ... not only from scratch, and when I mean scratch, I mean SCRATCH. We not only made the bread—we made the sourdough starter, too. I've made sourdough items plenty of times, but never with starter that I created. I wouldn't classify this project as a huge success.

The first time I attempted to proof the starter, I kept it in our gas oven (no, it wasn't on!) to keep the starter warm. Unfortunately, I think it kept it too warm and the starter completely stalled.... and looked really gross. My sister looked at it and said it looked like someone barfed up graham crackers. Eww....

My second attempt at the starter was more successful. I kept it in a Mason jar on the counter and put aside the worries that my kitchen was too cold for the starter to take root. I learned the hard way that my warmer option wasn't really an option. I also let the water sit out on the counter, out of concern that the chlorine in our water was part of the first starter's problems.


After 5 days, the starter was ready to transform into bread. When I made the dough, it was WAY too runny; not sure what I did, but it was more like sludge that dough. Hmmm... So, after the rising period, I realized it simply wouldn't work as is. I added some more flour and hoped for the best.


Unfortunately, I had a bit of a time crunch and couldn't let the dough go through another full rising cycle, so the bread wound up more dense than I think it would have had it had more time to rise.

With all that in mind, here's the final result! (It sort of reminded me of communion at church when the church uses actual bread instead of the more commonly used wafers.)


Our Daring Bakers Host for December 2011 was Jessica of My Recipe Project and she showed us how fun it is to create Sour Dough bread in our own kitchens! She provided us with Sour Dough recipes from Bread Matters by AndrewWhitley as well as delicious recipes to use our Sour Dough bread in from Tonia George’s Things on Toast and Canteen’s Great British Food!

No comments: