Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A Lovely Dessert

On Sunday as Annika and I were heading out to the store, she asked me "What's in a gummy bear?" The question initially perplexed me because she'd never had a gummy bear (they stink to high heaven in my opinion), but knew of them because of the moving "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs." Ah ha! I told her that they are made of sugar and gelatin (complete guess, but I figured it was pretty likely).

Fast forward to dinner that night. Our family of four met up with my brother's family of four for dinner at a German restaurant here in Seattle. My brother is a German fanatic and when he read about this restaurant he KNEW we needed to try it out. So, we did. Hey, who are we to deny him??

After our very tasty dinner comprised of wienerschnitzel, spaetzle, and bratwurst galore, we sat around the table in a food coma chatting and having a marvelous time being raucous and ... well, ourselves. The waitress asked if the kids would like the dessert that was included in the price of their meals. Sure, why not? A few minutes later, out came plates of whipping cream sprinkled with gummy bears. Annika was in HEAVEN at the thought of getting to try out the mystical treat. We figured Conor wasn't up for eating gummy bears yet, so he very happily stuck with eating spoonfuls of whipping cream.

Conor staring down his next bite
Our boy couldn't have been happier
Our nephew, Ian, and Conor were a perfect pair: Ian ate the gummy bears off o
f the plate and Conor ate the whipping cream. It's the new generation of  Jack Sprat!
Annika discovered there's worked involved when chewing gummy bears
One happy girl. After she was done, Annika turned to me and said, "That was a LOVELY dessert!"

No comments: