Monday, June 17, 2013

Sangria in a Snap

I just invented (at least, I think I did) the easiest sangria possible. While making dinner tonight, I opened a bottle of syrah wine so I could incorporate it in a sauce. Now, one just can't let a bottle of wine sit there open and not have any, right? I usually drink white wine because (a) most reds give me a headache and (b) white wines are served cold and I prefer that. I said to myself, "Self, isn't it too bad red wine can't just accept some ice cubes?" But I knew my wine-aficionado friends would cringe, so I resisted the urge. I further had the thought that sangria has ice in it, but also know it isn't a fast process. That's when I came up with this idea ... and it worked!

Put the following into a cocktail shaker and shake the heck out of it. Then, strain into a cup and enjoy. (I added some ice to my cup to keep it cold.) Seriously, it is THAT easy!

  • 1-ish c. syrah wine
  • 1 lemon slice (about 1/2 inch thick)
  • 1 orange slice (about 1/2 inch thick)
  • 2 packets of sweetener (ex: Equal)
  • Ice (a few handfuls)

No comments: