Friday, March 27, 2015

March 2015 Daring Bakers' Challenge: Tarte Tatin

This month's Daring Bakers' challenge was the ever-lovely tarte tatin... aka an upside down one-crusted pie.

I opted to make an apple tarte tatin using honeycrisp apples. Unfortunately, the apples were greatly lacking in flavor, which left my final dessert a bit flat in terms of flavor. I enjoyed making the puff pasty and the caramel, but the apples were so flavorless that the finished dish was "meh" in my humble opinion. I don't fault the recipe or instructions in the slightest ... just the apples that were not prime. I kick myself for not sticking to my original idea of using Granny Smith apples. Darn!

This summer, I plan on making a plum tarte tatin, so stay tuned!!!




For the March Daring bakers’ challenge, Korena from Korena in the Kitchentaught us that some treats are best enjoyed upside down. She  challenged us to make a tarte tatin from scratch.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious and congrats in completing this month's Daring Kitchen challenge too!
Cheers Joanne What's On The List

Korena said...

Too bad about the blah apples! Honeycrisp are great for eating out of hand but I guess not so much for cooking. Definitely try a plum version - it's on my list too :) Thanks for baking along this month!

Evelyn said...

I hope your tart tasted as wonderful as it looked in your blog.