Monday, July 27, 2015

July 2015 Daring Bakers' Challenge: Yafawi Sfeeha

Wow! This month, the Daring Bakers were challenged to make yafawi sfeeha, which is a dish from Palestine. What a great challenge this go around; it is such a treat to make things from different cultures and regions of the world. I had NO CLUE what to expect going into this challenge and, for me, that is a great deal of the fun.

Putting the actual dough together was a snap. The stretching part of the recipe proved to be the biggest hurdle to conquer. It definitely took me a few tries before I got the hang of how to efficiently and effectively stretch the dough so it was incredibly thin and the size I was aiming for. I found out that stretching, rather than using a rolling pin, was the way to go. Even after that, figuring out exactly HOW to stretch the dough took some doing. Because the dough was coated in melted butter, the whole experience felt like a little spa treatment for my hands. :)

I started off with a savory Mediterranean-inspired filling: spinach and feta, with some salt, pepper, sauteed onion, and a hint of nutmeg. My best guess while putting it together was it would resemble spanakopita, and I was right. The texure wasn't overly flaky like spanakopita usually is, but the flavors were definitely there.

I ran out of the spinach/feta filling before I ran out of dough balls (I think I made the dough balls a bit too small, but oh well!), so I filled the rest of my dough segments with cinnamon sugar and after they were baked, topped them with a little powdered sugar/milk/lemon juice icing. Again, the flavor of a cinnamon roll, but a different texture.

Spinach and feta

Cinnamon sugar, glazed

All-in-all,this was a fun experiment and it made our kitchen smell divine!


The July Daring Bakers’ Challenge was brought to us by Manal from Manal’s Bites. She introduced us to an authentic Palestinian dish from Jaffa that is served as a main meal along with a bowl of soup or a salad. The “Yafawi Sfeeha” or also known as “Milwayeh” which means twisted, is crispy yet tender and full of flavor.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love your idea of a spanikopita flavored pastry! So creative. I am also glad you turned a few into cinnamon rolls. They look really yummy especially covered in icing!